Skip to main content

Happy Sewing

I have to say one thing about the hot temps is that  I'm fortunate to be able to stay inside with the A/C on, it gives me more time to spend on sewing.

 I was so tired last night to write that I'll show what I did yesterday and what I did today.
I like to say that I have spent very little time outside this week and what time I am, is all about supplying the plants with water.
After that I need a shower before I can do anything else. Have to wash all this sweat off, blasted humidity.
Today while out n the garden I picked the last of the cabbage, 



couple reds and one green.

I see sauerkraut in the near future.




Yesterday I finished the last block for month 13 of Farmers Wife 1930's Sampler 



While out yesterday I went by the quilt shop to drop them off. I like to take the completed blocks to the shop as soon as I finish them. Don't want to be responsible for them any longer than I need to.

When I came back home, decided to work on RSC for this month.
Using a pattern I've done before,

  Cityscapes by: Nancy Mahoney Port City

Its a free pattern and here is a link to it



Making mine smaller for a baby quilt, had most of the pieces cut out but ran out of one piece of fabric and needed to assemble some of the units before I know what steps to do next.



This is what I have so far.



But there are five 3 1/2 squares that need strips sewn on around the square and I have no more of the fabric. I audition this lighter solid but I think it stands out too much. So I thought about trying something I do on occasion.



That is to use the wrong side of a fabric.



Cut out a few strips and put them up on the wall to audition.



What do you think?

I think it will work just fine.



Now for today I worked on getting handouts, samples and quilts I've done together to take.
You see tomorrow I am teaching a class on using the Quick Curve Ruler from Sew Kind of Wonderful.



Have what I need in the box ....... which I picked up at Costco the last time I went for a real descent price.

The pattern we'll be making is the Metro Twist

Image result for metro twist quilt

My sampler was done in blues



Picture is not very sharp, I pulled it off the web.

And these are a couple other quilts I made using Sew Kind of Wonderful patterns and Quick Curve Ruler.




So there it is, some useful days as they say on the Island of Sodor.


Linking to my quiltin fatuation

Comments

  1. You are making a great quilt, and I admire your skills at sewing the Farmer's wife blocks. It looks like you are going to teach a wonderful quilt design. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cabbage looks great! We have had coleslaw with ours and friend cabbage. I think I have four more in the garden - mine are small heads and I will let them continue to grow as I use them up - it is too hot this summer isnt' it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried braised red cabbage with apple, that is one of our favourites. I could do with you living nearer to me so that you could teach me some of your skills. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to be a very cute baby quilt. Thanks for sharing the pattern. Hope your class went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so curious! Love your Farmer's Wife blocks, but why are you dropping the blocks off at a quilt shop as soon as you've finished them? Do you work there, or are you contributing to a charity quilt? I have admired quilts made with that curved ruler but haven't seen it in person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t