Skip to main content

Books and Yarn Gadgets




I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and comments, I'm feeling a lot better, almost my old self. 



Wish I could say that I'd finished the cat cocoon while in California but fortunately am very close to the end. Towards the end of my visit it seemed as though I would either be very busy or very tired to knit. But it looks as though I'll have it done shortly and will get it felted, take a picture and mail it off to my daughter.
Now for my new gadgets, I broke down and finally purchased a swift and a ball winder. 



I have been wanting these for ages 




but could not see myself getting one until I started the Loops club. In the past I would get the shop to wind my yarn from a hank  into a ball. But recently it seems like I've been coming home with hanks. I wound one up before I left and it was not a pretty sight. I did it before and use the back of a chair to hold my yarn and it works but not easily. So with my mighty iPad in hand I went online and checked out a swifts and winders. Now there's some really nice umbrella swifts out there that are just gorgeous, made from wood





 but for $20 (and I know, its from oversea) I got this one right here which does a ample job of holding the hank,  spins smoothly, out reaches to any length you need it to be. I think it will serve my purpose. And maybe someday I splurge and get one of the beautiful wood ones.




Now on the ball winder I did go for a medium priced one instead of going the cheaper route. The reviews I saw on the winders that were slightly less in price did not get that good of reviews and I want something that would last me the rest of my life. In this  brand it had very good reviews so I feel pretty confident. So I started winding some yarn up,  and how nice and quick it went. 



I was able to do these balls in 30 minutes. I see I'm going to be having a lot of fun in the future here


Now for books on the way back from my visit to see the grandsons instead of three books I listen to on the way there, I only made it through one and halfway through another. When I tell you the second you'll realize why I only made it halfway through. 

Image result for after you

The first book was After You by JoJo Moyes.
This is the sequel to Me Before You.  I would have to agree with some that the first book was more compelling and interesting than this book. But it was still a good read and I enjoyed it. Just not as much as the first one. 

Now for the second book you might or you might not know I am a big Outlander fan. Started reading the books 20 years after they were written. When Starz announced that they were going to produce a series called Outlander. I decided I would read the first book before the series was to aired on Starz to see if it was something I would be interested in watching. Well I fell in love with the book and twice as hard for the TV series. 

Image result for Voyager(novel)

For the book I'm reading now is the third book of the series, Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. I have only made it halfway through this book and basically it's because this book is 44 hours long. The longest one so far. The first book was 33 hours and the second book with 39 hours. And as you can see, they are very long books. But I'm loving every minute of it.

And the series sticks pretty close to the books. That is the main reason I like the series on TV.

Till next time 

Linked up with

Comments

  1. the Outlander series is great!! long but worth the read in the end I have read all of them over the years and then read the whole series over again when I knew they were doing a show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better again. I have a cold right now and it is rotten when you are icky isn't it. I have a wooden swift and I love it, I think there was an error on the price, it was a very good deal so I snapped it up! My ball winder though is plastic and nasty and I don't like it! Yours looks lovely!! Happy winding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are just about back to normal. I don't do the yarn thing (I think My Guy would divorce me if I added any more stash stuff), but it's fun seeing everyone's creations and the stuff that goes with it. I read the first Outlander book several years ago and loved it, but I couldn't get through the second one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t