Skip to main content

Yarn and Books

I have a finish to show and a little progress has been made on the cat cocoon.



I did get another child's scarf completed. Using more stashed yarn. It doesn't take much to make this scarf tho. When I was crocheting this, it doesn't irritate the carpal tunnel in my right wrist but if I knit it will. You would think the opposite seeing how I move my wrist more when I crochet. Oh well

But I get do a few more row on the cat cocoon and I was going to link the pattern but it is no longer available. 



I'm sure hope it will stand up like the picture
Now I have been listening a lot to books this month  
I have finished 3 books

Flash
Flash Audiobook

I enjoyed this book. The author had a way of taking a simple event and it make into a teachable moment. I would recommend this if you are looking for a faith based book that is more of a story than a preaching book.

The second was a freebie I downloaded from Amazon.


I am a big Laura Ingall Wilder fan and when I saw it was based on her daughter Rose I thought what the heck.
It was ok but the author made Laura out to be a needy, whiney and not an attractive person. It was her take of what she had research on her daughter Rose. Made her daughter out to be like a heroine  Don't know that much about the mother daughter relationship they had but I did not care for her portrayal. 
But I still found it to be interesting.

And this book I just finished is

The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto Audiobook

I loved this book. I loved how it was written, the story was fascinating. The narration was wonderful.
I would recommend this book and especially if you love music.
The publisher can say what it's about better than I can.
Mitch Albom creates his most unforgettable fictional character - Frankie Presto, the greatest guitarist ever to walk the Earth - in this magical novel about the bands we join in life and the power of talent to change our lives.
It's an epic story of the greatest guitar player ever to live and the six lives he changed with his magical blue strings.
In Albom's most sweeping novel yet, the voice of Music narrates the tale of its most beloved disciple, young Frankie Presto, a war orphan raised by a blind music teacher in a small Spanish town. At nine years old, Frankie is sent to America in the bottom of a boat. His only possession is an old guitar and six precious strings.
But Frankie's talent is touched by the gods, and his amazing journey weaves him through the musical landscape of the 20th century, from classical to jazz to rock and roll, with his stunning talent affecting numerous stars along the way, including Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Carole King, Wynton Marsalis, and even KISS.
Frankie becomes a pop star himself. He makes records. He is adored. But his gift is also his burden, as he realizes that through his music he can actually affect people's futures - with one string turning blue whenever a life is altered.
At the height of his popularity, Frankie Presto vanishes. His legend grows. Only decades later does he reappear - just before his spectacular death - to change one last life.
With its Forrest Gump-like romp through the music world, The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto is a classic in the making. A lifelong musician himself, Mitch Albom delivers a remarkable novel infused with the message that "everyone joins a band in this life", and those connections change us all.
The complete list of narrators includes: Mitch Albom, Roger McGuinn, Ingrid Michaelson, John Pizzarelli, Paul Stanley, George Guidall, Mike Hodge, Robin Miles, Christian Baskous, Tony Chiroldes, Kevin O'Neil, Adriana Sananes, Ken Brown, and Sarab Kamoo.
©2015 ASOP, Inc. (P)2015 HarperCollins Publishers

Linking up with Ginny at Small Things

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t