Skip to main content

A Full Week

It's hard to believe it's been a week since I last wrote. But I can understand because a lot has been going on this past week
Last Thursday it started with Bible study in the morning, stitch group in the afternoon and Thursday evening preparing for my daughters visit for the weekend.
Friday was an exciting day I caught the groundhog that's been visiting in the hen house. I will show more of that at the end of the post. And Crystal showed up that afternoon.
Saturday we had a small family gathering to celebrate Crystal's birthday with dinner and some cake.
Sunday Crystal and I did a little cooking, little lounging and a lot of visiting.
Monday being Labor Day "The Man of the Place" was home and we had planned to go out to eat and just do a little drive around. But that got put back by a few hours due to the fact that we lost water to the house. You see we are on well water and so if you lose electricity water goes out. We have no water.  So we check the breaker, we change the water filter and we still had no water coming to the house. At least we did have water there at the well house. We knew it was either a line to the house or maybe the bladder that regulates the water pressure to all the outside line
Being a holiday there is no way to get anyone out here to check it so it wasn't until yesterday afternoon right before I was going to leave to go to our 1930's club the service man showed up to check our system.
And yes it is the bladder to the water system.
So we have been roughing it for the past couple days, heating water on the stove, washing ourselves and dishes with that.  Thank goodness we still had water coming from the well house otherwise we would've had to go down to the creek to get water and that would only been used for the toilet
Today they are supposed to replace the bladder tank and hopefully we will have water.  I need to do laundry.
I have had a different weekend but I was able to do some hand stitching on my "Words to Live By" quilt and some quilting.



 It was a packed house last night at the 30 club but unfortunately we only had one person who is able to bring their RSC block to show. I hadn't a chance to work on them over the weekend myself so I was one of them that didn't bring their blocks
Now the part about Mr. groundhog.
As mention earlier on this past month we have been trying to rid the hen house of the visiting groundhog. A little of what I have said previously is that we had a groundhog burrowed into the hen house. We would shovel the dirt back in the hole and within a few days he would dig it back out. 



This has been going on the past month. And while he was visiting and eating the laying pellet, we had raccoon's break into the hen house one night and killed one the girls. After that night my main focus was to capture and relocate the varmints. I trapped 7 coons in 4 nights. 
Poor chickens....   
In the mean time we had thought about how we would go about trapping the groundhog. They normally do not go for bait in a trap. I heard you can but I never had luck. They like choice, fresh veggies and fruit.
I had some years pass trap a group of them that were eating up the veggies in the garden, At that time they had burrowed under the fence we have and getting their fill of veggies. 
I figure I could try what worked that time.



And that is to put the live trap near the entrance to the hole. Needed to make barriers so the groundhog is directed to go in the direction of the opening to the trap.
No bait, just let it think its going back in to get the laying pellets.
Now I didn't think it would work the first day but it did. 



Boy is he a big, healthy, fat groundhog.







Now with him we only took him a mile away to release. Figured the other end of our property was far enough.
At least I hope so..



good riddance. 



Comments

  1. I thought that was quite fascinating, I have never seen a ground hog before. Such a shame about the chicken, it seems to be a constant battle with the racoons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a trap just like that for foxes and feral cats........ Never seen a ground hog... They are big......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they come to the fence and then dig under a we have got meeting attached to the base of the fence that lays just under the ground out from the fence..... That stops the foxes digging under......

      Delete
  3. Gosh it has all been going on at your house! I hope that the water is fixed again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have water now and that the pesky ground hog hasn't found his way back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t