Skip to main content

New recipe to try Pear and Zucchini Soup

I have had an abundance of vegetables this years so I have been doing a lot of canning, freezing and drying of my bounty. But in addition to that I have been busy surfing the web looking for new recipes to try. Most have been very good but every now and then I've made one that is just awful no matter what I change. 
This recipe I questioned but I was looking for one that I could use up some of the last of the zucchini. I've made bread, muffins, casseroles, baked it, fried it, steamed and saute. But I hadn't tried a soup that was mainly zucchini and not just the side veggie.
What also peaked my interest was that it also used pears. Heaven knows I have a ton (ok just 165 lbs) of them at the moment waiting to be put up.

Found this recipe at the Food Network website. I can find some really good ones at that site, one of the many I visit.
Here is the page for you who can access it

And here is the recipe for those who can't.
All I can say is that it is so good. I wasn't sure about it seeing how I have never used these ingredients together before. Even "the Man of the Place" liked it.
Tonight I think I'll make Irish Soda Bread to go with the leftover soup.





photo is courtesy of Food Network, (prettier than the one I took)



Pear and Zucchini Soup

Recipe courtesy The Corn Exchange

Prep Time:30 min 
Prep Time: -- Cook Time:30 min
Level: Intermediate
Serves: 6 servings

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
6 medium zucchini, diced (I used 2 very large, deseeded instead)
2 small pears, peeled, seeded and diced (preferably Anjou or Forelle)
1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, cut into ribbons (I didn't have fresh so I used dried)
5 cups water (I used half chicken stock and water)
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream (I used half and half)
Freshly ground black pepper
Bread or croutons, for serving
Directions
In a medium stock pot over medium heat, add butter and olive oil. When the butter melts, add the onions, celery and carrots and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the zucchini, pear and sage. Cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the water, potatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt.

Place a lid on the pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the vegetables are fork-tender, about 30 minutes.

Remove the soup from the heat. With an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream. More water can be added as desired if the soup is too thick. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper. Serve with bread or croutons.

* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_30249_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html?oc=linkback 

I'm still on the search for more pear, sweet potato, beet, turnip and acorn squash recipes. 
You guessed right I have abundancy of these veggies too.



Comments

  1. This was our first year with a good pear harvest. I too, am trying lots of new recipes and sharing them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen
    Sorry to see you are not doing Bonnie's mystery this year. After seeing your delicious colour choice for Easy Street, I was looking forward to see your selection this year.
    All the best
    Claire Apatow, Australia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t