Skip to main content

Making Buttermilk


:

Have you ever try making your own cultured buttermilk?
Once I had read about how it was done, I knew I just had to give it a shot. I use a lot of buttermilk in my cooking and baking and one of the things I like about it is the long shelf life it has for a dairy item.

The way I did mine was to use some buttermilk that I had purchased at the store. I believe I read that there are powdered culture that can be used but it was easier for me this way.



STEP 1.


 Need to start with a clean and sterilized jar.
I used a quart size.
 STEP 2.
Start with fresh milk and cultured buttermilk.  The fresher the better. If your buttermilk is older than 3 weeks it might not have enough active bacteria to give the results needed. I used 1% milk but that is because I wanted just a little fat in  my milk. Gives it a little richer flavor but you can use skim if you want.







STEP 3.
Add a bacterial starter of 6 to 8 ounces of active fresh cultured buttermilk to a clean quart jar.  Use 6 ounces if you are certain of the freshness of the starter (a ratio of about 1 part starter plus 4 parts milk).  When in doubt, use a full cup of buttermilk as starter (a ratio of 1 part starter plus 3 parts milk). I did a cup of buttermilk and 3 cups of milk. Screw on the lid tightly & shake to mix thoroughly



 LAST STEP:
It needs a warm place for for the milk to clabber. It  should take  about 24 hours and maybe up to 36 but no more than that. If it does, the starter was no longer active. I had read that the milk could still be used in baking. I put mine near our wood stove.





Was good in 24 hours.
To tell if it is ready is to pour some in a glass, the thickened buttermilk coats the glass.    The finished buttermilk should be refrigerated.  It keeps easily for weeks.   

There you go, it's that easy.   

      

Comments

  1. I love buttermilk biscuits made from scratch, although honestly, I can't tell you the last time I made them! Your post reminded me of my mom doing this when my sisters and I were little. She made some great desserts with the fresh milk, cream, butter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, I am so grateful that you've shared this recipe today. I had exactly 8 ounces of buttermilk left (same brand that you use) and paused after reading your entry long enough to go start a new jar. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    I wanted to invite you to join my How To Tuesday link party, if you haven't already joined . It would be wonderful to have you!

    http://housewifehowtos.com/linkage/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-12-and-features/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make mine the same way. I use AnnaBelle's milk (our Jersey) though with the store bought cultured buttermilk to get it started then I just keep it going as needed.

    Thanks for sharing ;-)

    Amanda
    Matthew 6:33

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing, thank you so much for sharing, I will definitely be making this soon!
    Thank you so much for linking up on Tutorial Thursdays over the last week.
    Congrats - This was my favourite link from the collection, and as such I will be featuring you tomorrow in this weeks Linky Party!
    I do hope you will be joining in this week again :)
    x
    Natalie
    www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t